Labels

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Firstborn of Every Womb

Exodus 13:1-2;13;14-16 and Nehemiah 10:36

Re: The consecration or redeeming of the firstborn: Along with the firstfruits of every tree, crop, and harvest, the Israelite was to redeem his firstborn son and consecrate him to the Lord. "The firstborn of every womb, animals and man, is to be redeemed." "It will be like a sign on your hand and a symbol on your forehead that the Lord brought us out of Egypt with his mighty hand." Consecrate has a plethora of synonyms, among which is dedicate. Redeem is defined as a verb meaning to buy back or recover possession. I do not know the implications of this command to the Israelites. I suppose they were to bring that son, have him blessed in the temple, dedicate him to the Lord's service, then somehow redeem him to be able to return home with him. What does this mean to me, a 21st century Christian who has been grafted into God's family? I believe that Jesus, as God's firstborn male, without flaw, became the firstborn forever, to redeem me and consecrate me. As a mom with a firstborn son, as well as two other children, I do recognize that they belong first to God, and I need to honor him as I raise them. I need to bless them. I am grateful to Jesus above all else.

No comments:

Post a Comment